Thursday, February 2, 2017

Quick Curve Ruler

Last month I got a quick curve ruler for my birthday.  I've been meaning to learn how to sew curves for several years but just hadn't found the right class.  When I saw how gentle the curve was on this ruler, I thought I might be able to teach myself.

My first hurdle was coming up with big enough sized scraps from my stash.  These blocks are much bigger than most of the scraps in my stash, and I hated to cut into fat quarters, but I did it anyway. Here are my first test units.


Three of them turned out OK, one of them did not.  I haven't used this ruler enough to figure out the problem, but I assure you, it is a user error, and I suspect it happened during the cutting.  The cutting does not feel natural to me as this is my first slotted ruler.

I ended up making a lot of  lantern shaped units using some fat quarters that were left over from a previous quilt. I wanted to make a donation quilt out of them, but I didn't have enough lanterns for a good sized quilt.  That's when this quilt went off the rails.  I used some text print and scraps left over from the lanterns to stretch this quilt.  I wanted it twin size, and I almost got there, but at the expense of design.  



They are not colors I use a lot.  You will have to trust me when I tell you that the addition of the navy fabric helped a great deal.


This quilt is getting mixed reviews from my family.  My blunt sister didn't care for the colors. My diplomatic husband said he liked the outside blocks but it wasn't one of his favorite quilts, and he is not a fan of the text print.  This isn't one of my favorite quilts either, but it accomplished my goals:  a top for donation and practice with my new ruler.

Linking up:  https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2017/02/lets-bee-social-163.html

7 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

I love this ruler Laura and the sewing method used to achieve the curves. My first quilt used the quick curve ruler and I've recently purchased the mini. Email if you want any tips. I've got them.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

We seldom use our favorite fabrics to learn new techniques. Why should we? It turned out great, and will be a great charity quilt.

Jennifer said...

There are some good videos on the quick curve ruler, but it does take a little practice to get it right! I got the mini for Christmas and am looking forward to playing with that one!

SandraC said...

I agree with Jennifer, the videos online do help learn the technique

Clare Lloyd said...

love your quilt and such great colours

Cut&Alter said...

I think you did great using the QCR - it's such a lovely curve to start with. And, unlike your family, I like the colours and the text print!!

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

I too have the quick curve ruler but have not been game enough to try it. Good for you! To each his own opinion but I love text print in fabric. According to a color class I took aquas and reds are excellent color pairs. I agree though -the navy adds a bit of snap to it. What is your next quick curve project?